Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Homemade Stain (Barn Wood Style)

 Okay!  So I decided to finally share my Homemade Stain that works perfect for creating that old grey barn wood look! I first saw this recipe on a fellow bloggers site, however, when I went back to check it out, her blog was gone!  So I had to kind of play it by ear with this.  Here is how I make my stain.

Here is what you will need:

2 pads of extra fine steel wool
2 cups distilled white vinegar
1 cup of water
 2 tea bags of Earl Grey Tea 
1 jar with lid
1 paint brush


Okay, so all you do is tear/shred up the steel wool into little pieces and put it in a jar.  Pour the vinegar into the jar, and let it sit for two days.  It needs this time to rust and make it's color!  When the mixture is rusted and ready, boil a cup of water and make Earl Grey Tea with two bags.  You want this strong!  The stronger the Tea, the better your grey will be.

Now you're ready!  It is that easy!  Now to get my look, I first put on a nice layer of the vinegar mixture.  Let it dry.  Then I did one coat of the Earl Grey Tea.  And there you have it!  Now you can do all sorts of fun things to rough up your furniture to get the right look!  Sand it, hit it with screws, hammers!  Your options are endless!  Keep in mind, you will definitely want to seal this.  I bought a Minwax brand Paste Finishing Wax from Lowes.



I hope you'll have the chance to try this out!  It's so neat and kind of addicting!

1 comment:

  1. Very Nice, I love the Earl Grey Stain!! Love your boxes. Do you ship to Canada?? lol xo

    ReplyDelete