Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Gorgeous French Country Hutch Makeover

 I recently finished this gorgeous hutch for a friend of ours.  She picked out a really beautiful blue for the body of this piece, and a creamy white interior.  The hutch started out as a neutral colored honey brown, which honestly looked great like that too, but they were wanting a fresh new look for their new place, and I LOVE how it evolved into this timeless piece of furniture.



After removing every piece of hardware, I painted two coats of the blue, and three coats of the cream inside the top of the hutch.  Once I was all finished with that, I glazed it.  So when I glaze something, I first spray one coat of lacquer on the whole piece, and then I mix a little paint and a little water.  You want the consistency to be similar to the consistency of stain.  It's pretty watered down. Next, I apply a coat of the mixture to one surface at a time using a foam brush, making sure to get into all of the cracks and crevices. This is where the glaze will sit once you wipe it off.


 After I have my surface covered, I grab a clean, slightly damp cloth, and start to wipe it off.  It won't all come off, but most of it will.  This is kind of trial and error process and it can go so many different ways.. So I recommend playing around on a couple sample boards before you actually glaze your piece.


Here is what it looks like after wiping most of it away.  All the dents, cracks, and seams catch the glaze.





We decided to leave the inside of the bottom the original stain. 


Well, there you have it.  A beautiful makeover, and a new timeless piece of furniture.  Thanks for stopping by and have a blessed day! xo

Jen

Linking up at:

3 comments:

  1. What color blue paint did you use?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Could you please tell us what colors you used for this project and where you got the paint?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find the instructions on the glaze confusing. See my questions in ( ). "After removing every piece of hardware, I painted two coats of the blue (like others, I'd love to know the color), and three coats of the cream inside the top of the hutch. Once I was all finished with that, I glazed it (with what?) So when I glaze something, I first spray one coat of lacquer (clear? on the whole piece. (Let it dry?) and then I mix a little paint and a little water. (on top of the dried lacquer?) You want the consistency to be similar to the consistency of stain. It's pretty watered down. Next, I apply a coat of the mixture to one surface at a time using a foam brush, making sure to get into all of the cracks and crevices. This is where the glaze will sit once you wipe it off. " The piece is beautiful. Your answers will help me recreate your look.

    ReplyDelete