Tuesday, August 19, 2014

A Vintage Checkerboard Table


Back in June, I refinished another family heirloom piece for a client of mine.  The first piece I had done for her was the adorable little Vintage Tea Cart turned Lemonade Stand.  It turned out so cute!  Cute enough that she decided to entrust the next piece to me :)  As a kid, she used to play on this checkerboard table and make memories with her siblings and family members.  Now with kids of her own, she wanted to give the table life again, giving her children a chance to play on this table and create similar memories of their own.

The table started out pretty rough and worn.. It had been carted around from house to house.
I started by sanding the whole table down.
 This piece is particularly neat to me, as the checkerboard pieces are all different types of wood.  All inlaid piece by piece.  They just don't make things today like they did back then do they.  Given the way this table was made and constructed, it made it very simple to stain it.  I used a nice rich color called Provencial by Minwax.  It has warm tones, but not too much red in it.



It's always a joy for me to be a part of restoring something that has meaning and memories for someone.  I hope you enjoyed this little project!  And as always, thank you for stopping by!

xo Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment