Saturday, November 22, 2014

DIY Farmhouse Inspired, Burlap and Zinc-Finished Lamps


A couple weeks ago, I shared my Living Room Makeover Reveal from the One Room Challenge, and I promised a DIY tutorial on my new lamps!  You can catch that post here!

Today I'm sharing my tutorial on how I gave these dated thrift store lamps a complete transformation.  As you can see, I started with white ceramic and brass lamps.  I picked these lamps up for $5.00 each!  

  
First I taped off the switch, and the top part where the light bulb screws in.  I also wrapped tape around the cord at the bottom to keep paint from spraying on it.


 I gave each lamp a couple coats of spray paint using Rust-oleum Flat Antique Nickle. (You will want to do this outside, or in a place where its safe for a little over-spray. Not in the house!!)


Next, I watered down some white paint I had on hand.  The consistency should be fairly liquidy after adding water and stirring.  Using a paint brush, I covered the whole thing with the watered down paint.  I then switched to a clean, dry paint brush and started making my way around the lamp, horizontally, making sure to dab excess paint off as I went.  This is what gives you the streaky look.  The paint seems to dry pretty quickly, so I then just used my dry brush to go up and down and side to side to give it a neat blotchy texture.. You'll just have to play with it at this point to get the look you're after.


After I finished the painting of the lamps, I wrapped the bases using jute rope and a hot glue gun.  I wanted a farmhouse, and kind of beachy look as well, so I feel like the rope gives me that look.  Plus it ties in well with the burlap shades I picked up at Hobby Lobby!



So there you go!  I hope you get to try this out on a cool thrift store lamp or two!  With shades and all, I made these lamps for only $22.00 a piece!  I was able to create one of a kind lamps and have fun doing it.  

As always, thank you for stopping by and I hope you have a great weekend and a wonderful Thanksgiving!!

xo Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment